Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hairy Mann

I went to school with a boy named Hairy Mann. I just thought of it because this post concerns my hair, although I am not a Mann.

Dreadlocks are a lot of work. It takes weeks to get them in and they require a lot of maintenance for the first few months. It takes like 15 minutes to wash them properly and it is best done in a bath rather than a shower. I am used to taking only 15 minutes to get my whole self ready, so it's quite a hassle. You don't have to wash them every day, but I wash mine at least every second day. There is also a dandruff issue. Conditioner is a no-no, so my scalp is super dry. Chelsea (Shanghai) says that dreads are allowed to be dandruffy, but it drives me crazy. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way mine turned out, save for a few in the back that haven't gotten enough love. They're fun and they make me feel way cool, but I still think I'm gonna cut 'em off within the next week or so. Part of the excitement of putting them in was knowing that eventually I'd get to shave my head. I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to know what my head would look like naked.

I'm thinking of making it into a fundraiser to benefit Future Island by selling the right to cut each dread for $10. Because I have 33 of them, that'd make $330 for Future Island. I think it'd be kind of cool to have 33 different people cut my hair. There is also a possibility that I will just give Jen and Sam each a pair of scissors this weekend and let them go to work. We will see.

4 comments:

Cassy said...

Im in

running g said...

i've always wanted to shave my head too!

Anonymous said...

I would be so up for this!!!!

Anonymous said...

So what was the tally for Future Island??

Love ya,
Dad