Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bike Ride #1

Today I went for my first real bike ride in Calgary (biking between Sam's house and her aunt's house and Nan's house doesn't count because they all live within ten minutes of each other).

My original plan was to bike from my house to Ambrose, the school I'm hoping to go to in the fall. If my study permit comes, I'm going to try to bike there and back on the days I have school (twice a week). It's 21 km, that's 13 miles, from my house to the school.

I made it a little less than halfway. There was freezing rain falling from the sky and I could see one of my favorite coffee shops from the bike path I was on at the time. I was also pretty tired. I got lost once or twice or maybe even three times on the maze-like side streets, which must have added a good deal of extra mileage to my trip.  A hot cup of coffee was way too tempting.

I stopped, had my coffee, and made my way back home. Getting home was way easier, it took me 50 minutes to get home compared to the 100 minutes it took me to get to the coffee shop. Getting home was also way colder and way wetter. I was SOAKED. It rained/sleeted/snowed the whole way home. Haha, maybe that's why I got back so much faster.

Anyways, I don't think biking to school will be that bad. Maybe I'll make a real trial run on a sunny day. 

I have to slowly work up my hardcore-ness, although I still have no intention of ever riding my bike in -40 weather. I tend to wear ear warmers even when I ride my bike on warm days. My ears are SO sensitive to wind and cold, and bike riding involves wind. If I were a superhero, my costume would definitely include ear muffs.

3 comments:

arbyn said...

If you're not going to ride your bike in -40 I'm wondering if you'll get the chance to ride for more than two months out of the year...

Jaclyn_Rose said...

Hehe - I was going to say something to that effect as well!

running g said...

I just rode my bike to church and back for practice today! killer!

go biking!