Monday, May 11, 2009

Allowance

So, I've started giving myself an allowance. Not that I was living any sort of frivolous life to begin with, I just wanted to be aware of how I'm spending my money. 

Last week I gave myself $10 and all I spent was $4.25 for a game of squash at the leisure centre. This week I gave myself $8.53 because I had it in change, and it left me 9 more dollars for next week.

The only thing I'm not sure about is gas. I use my car to pick up Annie and take her places that are too far to walk. I also use it to drive to church every other week or so, and to the occasional social gathering. I don't go to social gatherings often... is it awkward to refer to them as social gatherings? Anyways... I'm trying to get into the habit of riding my bike places, but I haven't ventured out of the neighborhood. I need to learn where the bike paths are.

Ummm... I think this has turned into a disorganized ramble, but oh well.

It's not all about saving money. Being resourceful is probably a better description. Like, seeing the significance of little acts. I've never been one to leave the water running while I'm brushing my teeth, but what about while I'm washing my hair? It takes me a LONG TIME to wash my hair, and I realized the other day that I was wasting A TON of water. By the way, wouldn't it be cool if there were some way to put your bath water into a tank and use it to flush the toilet? I read that idea in Jesus for President. That book was really great.

Basically I'm trying to start a dialogue here on ways to be resourceful. We really aren't short on resources here in Canada, but that is no reason to be wasteful. Thoughts?

5 comments:

kinneyland said...

We grew up with well water that often ran out, so we had a bucket in the shower to catch water that we used to flush toilets. Works quite well and is really not that inconvenient. However, I don't do it now that I have unlimited water supply.

Jackson said...

you may already ne aware of this, but the city of calgary has a map and guide for biking throughout the city. I am hoping when we are there I can pick up a bike and make use of it myself. Here is the link if interested:
bike paths

Ashley Ronnell said...

Haha, the map is half the reason I'm scared to leave the neighborhood! So many turns and side streets, I'd either have to stop every 5 minutes to check which way to go, or I'd just get lost. I guess it doesn't sound so bad, I'm just lazy.

Jackson said...

Maybe you should think of investing in gps for your bike.

Anonymous said...

Bathwater for gray water. BRILLIANT!

Solar power for the pump?

You make me think!!

Love you