Sunday, February 03, 2008

Camp Not Luther

I volunteered at an SABC (Southern Alberta Bible Camp) retreat this past weekend. It's no Camp Luther, but it was pretty sweet.

I had two rooms full of pre-teen SABC veterans who figured that, since they had never seen me before, I must be a complete and total rookie. So, I walk into the room and they are all trying to sleep two to a bed so that they can all be in the same room. I shut that down fast, so they got all mad and glared at me a bit, then I made jokes about how dramatic they were being, and they couldn't help but laugh at how funny I am.

It was weird working at another camp. But it was also kind of fun to just be a lowly volunteer and have no responsibilities or anything expected of me at all. Even though some of the program drove me nuts (I wanted to fist fight whoever decided that it would be a good idea to have a talent show at a retreat) and I just wanted to fix it.

Anywho. I am exhausted. Is going to bed at 8:30 so wrong? Also, Sam is here tomorrow and I am going to go hang out with her whether she likes it or not. But maybe we will skip the sleepover this time around. (Last week I went for a sleepover when I had to work at 8 the next morning... on the opposite side of the city... BAD IDEA.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley!
I'm so amazed that you go out by yourself and volunteer at random camps! Good for you!
Which church or churches were there? I think my cousins youth group was there this last weekend!

Anonymous said...

oh by the way, this is Melissa from Bethany! just so ya know.

Ashley Ronnell said...

Melissa! A lot of kids came as individuals, the only group I remember was Okotoks Evangelical Free Church. (That's why I wasn't there Friday, I totally double booked myself.)

Sam said...

Hey you....being a lowly volunteer is just like being a camp nurse...it is great. UM as for the sleepover...thanks for skipping it since you DO work on the other side of the city and we BOTH suck at mornings.....anywho when can we play?

Anonymous said...

don't worry girl!
hey and thanks for adding me to your blog!!!
I really appreciate it.