Thursday, May 24, 2007

Do I have to start calling it Kraft Dinner now?

Alright, I guess I owe you all a mac 'n' cheese story.

I have very, um, resourceful eating habits. Sometimes this means dumpster bread, sometimes it means reject produce from the grocery store my ex-roommate works at. Lately it means camp guest group leftovers.

So, when it was time to throw out the expired goods at the daycare, I naturally thought to myself, "there's no way that this 1 year and 3 month expired box of mac 'n' cheese could go bad." It's just noodles and cheesy powder, right? Right.

I took the box of mac 'n' cheese home with me. Then I cooked it. I was right. It was just noodles and cheesy powder. But, apparently, when noodles are in a box for too long, they come to taste exactly like the box. I couldn't even eat it. It was too much like eating a box.

I wonder when those noodles were even packaged. The box was pretty old school.


Okay, so that wasn't too exciting a story. The real humor in it is that things like this have become quite typical for me.

Anyways. I'm liking being at camp. I met my Calgary family today (they were in Vancouver, so they drove out to camp for the afternoon) and I really like them. Things are goin' good.

6 comments:

arbyn said...

this is all so exciting. I'm glad you like your new family. PS. I'm relieved you were able to draw your food line at cardboard. Good luck with camp food this summer. remember, guest groups get the best stuff!

kinneyland said...

That box is not very appetizing, I wouldn't eat box flavoured food either. However, sometimes when you get the hot'n'ready pizza's at Little Ceasers they taste like box, and I still eat them.
I'm so glad you like your family. We are all very relieved here.

Anonymous said...

Box...we are NOT eating box this summer!!!!how about anything else??? Um anything you want me to bring from Calgary to camp let me know!!!!

Ashley Ronnell said...

Nope. No more eating things that taste like box. It no like me. I can think of 800 million better things for us to eat/drink at camp.

Hmmm... things to bring from Calgary. Maybe bring your knee pits and your ears and your trachea and the rest of your body. Oh, and maybe bring a lifeguard with you, too.

Anonymous said...

ASHLEY. I'm leaving my ears at home.....and will only bring my trachea if you bring yours....and for the lifeguard..that is a odd request to most but I think I will be able to bring one!

Ashley Ronnell said...

I brought my trachea with me to camp, so you should bring yours, too. But let's please just keep them in the cabin, ok? I think you will look funny with no ears, but I guess I will be your friend anyways if you let me borrow your knee pits sometimes.