Friday, November 14, 2008

Changing Gears

Truth be told, I am out of material for Fair Trade Fridays. I will share information on more products as I discover them, but for now I'm going to broaden the focus and look at human rights. I'll start today with a bit of an overview on what I'll be presenting in weeks to come.

The major international document on human rights is called the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), which is a part of the International Bill of Human Rights. These are both United Nations (UN) documents. The UDHR has 30 articles, each dealing with a unique aspect of human rights.

What I'm going to do is summarize each one and give examples of ways that you can promote human rights, both on local and international levels. I'll also post a video for each one, all of which will be taken from the Youth for Human Rights website. My aims in doing this are twofold: to give myself a more thorough knowledge in the area of international human rights (the best way to learn is by teaching, after all), and to encourage anyone who may be reading to find issues they are passionate about and willing to put some time and energy into. I'll get this up and running next Friday.

Until then, here is a link to the text of the UDHR.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ashley, you might be interested in a witness project, the hub for human rights video - http://hub.witness.org

all the best, chris (i work at witness)

erin said...

ash, you're so cool.