Sunday, October 19, 2008

I love hiplife

Lately, I've been thinking about the good ol' days in Ghana. I literally have hundreds of good memories of those days, and I think about my friends there often.

One thing I absolutely LOVE is hiplife music. This may come as a surprise to those of you who are not familiar with the gangsta side of my personality that has been fairly suppressed since my university days. What can I say, there really isn't much gangsta action up here in Canada. Although, I have to say that listening to Canadians use gangsta slang with their polite-sounding Canadian accents is the most entertaining thing I have ever seen/heard.

Anyways, hiplife is a Ghanaian style of music that combines highlife (traditional drum/dance) rhythms with hip-hop. It is so cool.

One of the songs that I love, and that was really popular when I was there in '05, is called Monkey Chop Banana by Nkasei. I think it's awesome. Chop is a Pidgin English verb for eat. There's another thing I miss, the Pidgin English. It's like an entire language of slang, it's ridiculous.

If you're at all interested in taking a listen, here's the Nkasei song...



And, Hene, feel free to correct me if I am misinformed on anything!

2 comments:

Cassy said...

That song be dope, yo. Thank you very much. I think I will have a listen while I play badminton. Holla!



(...and if you think I got help from my American husband for the gansta parts..... youd be right.)

Megs said...

monkey eat bananas!LOVE IT