Friday, October 24, 2008

Fair Trade Friday: Bananas!!!

I am so excited to post about fairly traded bananas! I have always had issues with buying bananas because I did not know of any banana company that did not have some sort of human rights violation under their belt (ie. Dole, Chiquita, Del Monte). Even though I love bananas. Unless it is artificial banana flavor, or unless it is a too-ripe banana.

Anyways. Did you know that bananas are the most-often purchased food items in grocery stores?

Today I looked on the kitchen counter and there were bananas from a company called Organics Unlimited. It was also labeled as a "GROW" banana, which stands for Giving Resources and Opportunities to Workers.

I was so excited that I exclaimed, "Wow!"

Then I looked it up and learned that GROW is non-profit, and that all of its resources go towards improving the lives of farmers and their communities with services that include a free daycare service. The funds come from a 60 cent per box addition to the price of bananas.

Consumer choices are important! If we can increase the demand for items such as these, we can empower a socially conscious organization like GROW. I think that is so great.

I am a 4. What is your banana preference?

**I forgot to post a link for you... Here you go!**

6 comments:

kinneyland said...

5.
I never knew about this either. I've been waiting for free trade products to go beyone chocolate and coffee, as I already knew about those products and wanted you do my research for me.
Thanks

running g said...

definamente cinco mi amiga.

Anonymous said...

I'm a six woman, myself

chelsea rae said...

that's great! i love fair trade fridays!

OsterGreen said...

So glad you found this. I've worked with GROW bananas since they started, and when you see the kids that GROW is helping, it makes you not care what color the bananas are - the things GROW does make it all worth it. But the bananas are great too.

Anonymous said...

where do you get such bananas Ashley???