Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday. Fair Trade.

If you've ever heard my long and frequent rants about Fair Trade at Starbucks, I'll tell you right now that I learned most of it from Oxfam. They are a defender of human rights, under which falls the issue of fair trade, and they have run a million billion (I'm exaggerating) campaigns to improve the lives of vulnerable people all over the world.

My favorite campaign that they have run is the one that pressured Starbucks to give trademark rights to the Ethiopian coffee farmers for their specialty coffee brands. I was so glad when Starbucks signed the agreement with Ethiopian coffee farmers that I ended my silent protest of Starbucks coffee and went to the nearest of the corporation's establishments to get a soy latte for myself.

This is Oxfam's video of the organization as well as the Ethiopian farmers thanking everyone who was involved in the campaign.



The most important lesson here, I think, is that enough concerned consumers can change the way business is done. We've got to care about injustices and then do something about it. We've got to realize how blessed, how ridiculously blessed, we are and then do everything we can to give as much as we can to others. We have tons of resources to do all of this. We really do.

No comments: