Thursday, June 19, 2008

Spoke to soon...

Seriously. Not 10 minutes after I wrote that last post, I go upstairs to get some toilet paper for my bathroom and... MOUSE! Now, I am not one to freak out at the sight of a mouse (thanks in part to the desensitization caused by one night in Ping, Ghana), but this mouse is crazy! I had no idea those little rodents were so freaking agile.

My first sighting is of the mouse leaping from one corner of the pantry to the other. LEAPING. I did not know that mice leap. Scurry, yes. But leap? My first reaction is something along the lines of 'how in the heck did a frog get in the pantry?' But it's furry, unlike a frog. It's a mouse for sure.

Anyways, I shut the pantry door and kind of stand in front of the pantry for a minute until Shana (the mom) walks out of her room.

"Ummm... I think there's a mouse in there," I say.
"Oh no." (The dad is in Italy, and dealing with mice is his job.)

So, we slowly open the door and peek in. Nothing happens for maybe 10 seconds, then all of a sudden this mouse-on-steroids leaps from the second shelf of the pantry onto the floor and lands in a half-full box of beer bottles.

We're both saying, "ew ew ew ew" as I shut the pantry door once again. We ready the trap. Shana accidentally snaps her fingers in it. Twice. Ouch. Shana re-opens the pantry door and I slide the trap into the middle of the pantry floor.

Now we wait.

I'm a bit skeptical, though. Is this mouse really going to go for the cheese on the trap when there's a whole pantry full of food right there?

1 comment:

VanillaRose said...

You left us hanging!