Monday, June 09, 2008

A Buck or Two

Accumulating a bunch of change is one of my pet peeves. Being in Canada, land of 1 and 2 dollar coins, does not help. Sam and I always fight over who has to take the change if we pay for something together. I just put it all in a jar and call it my RUTRTW fund. From September to February I accumulated $70 in change and used it all to buy food and drinks at Tim's.

But yesterday when I was making a deposit into the jar, I got to thinking about what a jerk I am for being annoyed by having too much change.

You probably already know this, but nearly 3 billion people live on less than $2 a day. About 1 billion of those people live on less than $1 a day.

My pet peeve could be someone else's livelihood. That's why the RUTRTW Fund is now the Chicken Fund. I know, I know. It's not like I'll never stop at Tim Horton's to get a sandwich and a cup of tea, but setting aside a bunch of money for doing so, even if it's only my spare change, is dumb. There are better things to set money aside for.

But seriously, isn't that crazy? That when I get a toonie for change, I'm getting the same amount that a lot of people in different parts of the world get for a day of work? It takes me 10 minutes of work to make those $2. That's crazy. The bad kind of crazy. I am certain that a strong majority of those 3 billion work WAY harder than I do.

It's like pennies. People say they're worthless, but if you collected 100 of them, you'd have the daily cost of living for 1/6 of the world. Sheesh.

----------
(Did you notice that I am trying to make this blog slightly more reflective of things that are actually somewhat important?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a chicken is 15 dollars?? SHVEET!
and thats like 4 and a bit chickens for a year of penny saving for you. PLUS they pop out little eggies every once and a while. MAN, what an investment.
I should start collecting some pennies....