Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Psalm 1

"Blessed is the man
     who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
     or sit at the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
     and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
     which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
     Whatever he does prospers."
-Psalm 1:1-3


Some seasons are more difficult to get through than others. Sometimes I feel like I am doing life completely wrong and, perhaps worse, sometimes I lose the motivation to do anything at all. In particular, there are times when loving God and loving others is especially difficult, but I keep at it anyways because Jesus wants me to. I am not saying I am good at it, just that I keep trying. Sometimes this feels counterintuitive. Why keep at it when it does not make the season easier?

Because it is good. When the time is right, good will come of this sort of faith in God's law, just as the tree planted by streams of water yields its fruit in season.

No comments: