Friday, May 07, 2010

Waves (the coffee shop reviews are back!)

There is a coffee shop called Waves next to the school I attend (Waves is located at 30 Springborough Blvd. SW, Calgary). I was down there today, so I figured I'd stop in for a drink.

A few years ago, I was at a Second Cup in Vancouver and ordered an Americano, joking with the barista that it ought to be called a Canadiano in Canada. I was surprised when I entered Waves to see that they had Canadianos on their menu instead of Americanos! After doing a bit of research when I got home, I learned that Waves is a coffee franchise based out of the lower mainland, which further convinced me that I came up with the name Canadiano. Anyways, I digress.

I ordered the Canadiano and it was very palatable. It had a smooth earthy-chocolaty flavor that tasted good with no cream or sugar.  With cream and sugar added, it tasted like a yummy dessert. Although this may not be the place for a coffee connoisseur seeking the perfect cup of coffee, it is a great place to have a nice cup of coffee with a friend or perhaps a good book.

One of the things that I really like about this place is the partnership they have with coffee farmers through the One Harvest Project, through which they sell single-origin coffee that is sustainable (above Fair Trade standards) for the people who produce it. I didn't see any indication that the espresso I ordered was a part of this project, so I can't speak to the quality of the One Harvest Project coffee, but I'm giving it a plug here anyways because I like sustainability and Fair Trade. I didn't see the Fair Trade certification on the packaging, so I guess I'll have to take their word that they meet the standards. Actually, I think I'll email them and ask them why the coffee is not Fair Trade certified.

Which reminds me. Tomorrow is World Fair Trade Day! If you live near a 10,000 Villages, they will most likely have fun, entertainment, and prizes happening tomorrow. Have a great weekend, friends!

1 comment:

Cassy said...

Yup....they are all over Vancouver. Strangely, we havent tried it out yet.