Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Psalm 2



"I have installed my king
     on Zion, my holy hill.
I will proclaim the decrees of the Lord:
     He said to me, "You are my Son;
     today I have become your father
Ask of me,
     and I will make the nations your inheritance,
     the ends of the earth your possession."
-Psalm 2:6-8

Lately, I have been thinking about metaphors. Likenesses between seemingly unrelated elements is one of those things that, to me, seems to be done by design.

As an interesting example, the Amazon Rainforest and the Congo River Basin are often called the lungs of the Earth. Since I have two lungs, too, it gives me a feeling of connectedness with the planet and makes me think that the force that brought my lungs about also had something to do with the botanical arrangement of the Earth as it exists today.

In the Genesis account of creation, God made people and entrusted them with the Earth. But, at the same time, it is from the dust that people were formed. We get this feeling of power, but we are a part of the planet that we are looking after, so we ought to take our responsibility seriously.

I don't have much else to say about this, I just think it is interesting to think about.

No comments: