Saturday, June 20, 2009

Oh, the things I agree to...

Today, while I was sipping a water bottle, Sam came up and squeezed the bottle so hard that water came out my nose. I'm pretty sensitive to water being in my nose, as in it really scares me and obviously hurts, so I started to cry a bit.

The water coming out of my nose reminded Sam that some people pour warm saltwater into their noses when they are congested. I happen to have quite a cold at the moment, so she decided that we should try it. She was SO excited by the idea of pouring something into one nostril and seeing it come out the other. (I think it is something like Cassy's fantasy of me snorting rice up my nose and spitting it out my mouth.)

I explained to her that warm salt water makes me gag worse than just about anything else, but she insisted that we try it out, first with freshwater to get me warmed up, then with saltwater. I was and still am skeptical about how much she knows about this method.

Anyways, I was SO scared. I was totally freaking out, weeping, etc. It really did hurt, and it really did go in one nostril and out the other just like Sam thought it would. The saltwater really did make me gag, though it did seem to loosen everything up. Or dilute it. Or something.

Oh well, at least Sam got to do her little experiment. And I... well... I guess... I faced my fears? Came closer to the ability to snort rice up my nose and spit it out my mouth? Submitted to a ridiculous request from someone other than Jen?

3 comments:

erin said...

I'm sick too. And I got a special pot, a neti pot, to irrigate. The doctor told me to get one. Yup, I have sent warm salt water through my nose once a day all week. And you know what else? William does it all the time...

Ashley Ronnell said...

Yeah, I've heard it's a really healthy thing to do... I might try to condition myself to do it without crying and gagging and generally making a fuss.

Cassy said...

I forgot about that idea of mine! Nice.