Monday, September 22, 2008

Know Thy Tastebuds

As we like to do, Sam and I were sitting in her bed one evening eating snacks and stalking people on Facebook. We were having pretzels. I tend to think that I don’t like pretzels, but I seem to eat them about one out of every five times I visit Sam’s house, so maybe I do like them.

Anyways. The pretzels were really dry (I think the dryness is why I think I don’t like pretzels). Sam, in an uncharacteristic act of non-laziness, offers to go upstairs to get some water for both of us. When she came back down and handed me the water, I got a whiff of something that smelled pretty good.

“Whoa, did you wash your hands while you were up there or something?” I ask. It’s a good question because all of the hand soaps in Sam’s house smell quite nice.

“No,” she replied. I’m not sure if she was confused by my question or not.

“Oh. Well did you wash your hands anytime recently?”

“No. I haven’t washed them since I went to the bathroom like 4 hours ago,” she says.

“Oh.”

So I continue to drink my water, but I keep smelling that nice smell. It was so strong and smelled so close!

“Sam, did I wash my hands recently?” I ask. Sometimes Sam remembers what I have done better than I do.

“I don’t think so.”

I keep sipping at my water and pondering (in my head) where the scent could be coming from. I’m maybe halfway done with my glass of water when I notice that Sam is looking at me with a frowny, frustrated look on her face.

“What’s the matter?” I ask.

“I’m trying to trick you and it’s not working,” she responds.

Turns out she had poured a lot of artificial coconut flavor into my water. She was upset that I didn’t notice how bad it tasted. I let her have a sip and she said it tasted awful. To me, it just tasted like water, so I started drinking it again. She then informed me that she really had put A LOT of artificial coconut flavor into my water, and that it probably wasn’t healthy for me to be drinking it.

In regards to knowing thy tastebuds, I say they are hard to know if you haven’t got any.

2 comments:

Cassy said...

cant breathe. laughing too hard.

Good one, Sam.

eric b. said...

Yeah, LOL... That's pretty ridic.