Friday, September 05, 2008

Fair's Fair

So I just finished reading a book called Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet by Carol Off. Perhaps you are thinking something along the lines of: "Sheesh Ashley, enough with the social justice already" or "Do you ever do anything other than read?" or "Get a job you hippie."

Anyways, I really enjoyed this book. The first half was a bit historical and I thought I'd be too bored to finish, but the course of history as presented in this book made a full circle and I was totally into it. I needed to get to the end of the story! My favorite part was that, in the end, the only logical solution was Fair Trade. I'm a big fan of Fair Trade, if you haven't heard. I also live under the delusion that anyone who doesn't care about Fair Trade must not know what it is, so here comes an informative excerpt from the book on the topic:

"For a product to be certified as "fair" requires an even more rigorous screening process than the organic certification. It must be made with no abusive labour practices, in particular no child or slave labour. Chemicals can be used in the growing or manufacturing of a product so long as workers are provided with adequate protective clothing and air quality (though chemicals are disallowed by the organic certifiers). An additional fair trade premium is paid to the cooperative or company, which is supposed to be used communally, to build clean water systems or provide schooling for the children of workers. But the most important aspect of the fair trade system is that it gives people in the developing world some advantage in the amoral jungle of supply and demand where the profit motive reigns supreme."

Anyways, I love Fair Trade and am always looking to discover new stuff that is Fair Trade Certified. Do you know of any such stuff? I want to know!

2 comments:

kinneyland said...

I was all excited to read a post about a fair you had been too..
Oh well, I guess it's okay to be education sometimes and not always just entertained.
Perhaps I should read books too....

Ashley Ronnell said...

Sorry about the confusion... if you're looking for a fair, you should go check out Bellis Fair in Bellingham...