Thursday, September 24, 2009

Surfin'

Well, I have made it through 2 weeks of this couch surfing Seattle adventure with about 14 weeks to go. It is kind of fun living life week by week, taking people's generosity as it comes, doing my best to reciprocate, and staying wherever there is a space for me.

Arriving in Sumas on Wednesday, September 9, I made myself a little nest out of sleeping bags in the corner of my mom's living room and slept there until leaving for Seattle four days later, a Sunday. It was good to chill with my mom and bro, to see that they are doing OK, and to join them in looking forward to better days.

Since then I have been sleeping on Gen and Bobby's couch. Gen and Bobby are two good friends from my days at University of Washington. I was a bridesmaid in their wedding a couple of summers ago, the same summer that Jen and Cassy got married (not to each other). I have really enjoyed staying with these two, mostly because I have missed spending time with them over the past few years. They have been so generous in sharing their apartment with me and have joined me in going with the flow for a couple of weeks.

Gen and Bobby's lease allows them to have guests for up to 14 nights, so I will be leaving here on Sunday and moving to Lindsey's apartment. Lindsey is the twin sister of my best friend from elementary/middle/high school, so we grew up together. We both moved to Seattle right after high school and have helped each other out with a couple of different housing situations. Since her lease lets her have guests for up to a month, Lindsey is going to let me stay on her floor until the end of October. It'll be nice to be in one place for a whole month, and to have my own set of keys (Gen, Bobby, and I have been sharing 2 sets of keys).

From there, I'm not sure where I will stay, but I'm not too worried about it. Things have had a pleasant way of falling into place since my immigration interview. I really couldn't ask for a better situation while I am here.

It has been so good to know, to really know, that God is taking care of me in a beautifully communal way. That God is letting all of us, near and far, take care of each other in community.

1 comment:

Cassy said...

Yes! That is so good. Community is how it should be, I think.