Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The interview

I went for my interview with immigration on Tuesday. I presented all of my financial information and it was going really well. I was ridiculously prepared, I looked professionally awesome, and I even bothered to take my eyebrow ring out for the occasion.

Then, at the very end of the interview, the officer totally caught me off guard. She told me that there was almost no chance she'd be able to grant me a study permit. Apparently, the course I took last semester as a visiting student was not a class that you can take as a visiting student. I honestly still don't fully understand the rule I was breaking, but she informed me that I had violated the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

When you violate the IRPA, you can't receive any sort of permit or visa for 6 months from the date of the violation (which, for me, is in mid-October). You also must leave Canada as soon as possible.

So, the night class that I took at Ambrose last semester got me in trouble. I had no idea that I was doing anything wrong and still think the information on the immigration website is misleading, but ignorance is not a good excuse for these sorts of things.

That is my story.

If you ask me how I'm doing, I will most likely say that I am OK. I'm really not OK, so I am sorry if I've lied to you about it. I'm trying so hard to be cheerful but I absolutely hate all of this and I am honestly a total wreck. I don't really want to go into why this is so hard for me right now, so I'm just going to end here.

3 comments:

arbyn said...

I can't believe they stuck you on a loop hole. So disappointing... I don't even know what to say.

Cassy said...

Yeah, brutal.

Walshy said...

My prayers are with you!