Sunday, February 08, 2009

Reason #1 to watch random educational videos online:

Impress your friends.

This evening Sam was studying some drugs and sicknesses and whatever else Paramedics need to know. Meanwhile I was writing a paper for my English class. Once in awhile, when she isn't sure of an answer, she jokingly asks me if I know. I think maybe it helps her think it through, or maybe it just makes her happy that she's not the only one who doesn't know all the crazy things Paramedics have to know.  Anyways, tonight the conversation went something like this...

Sam: "What is a differential diagnosis for cyanide poisoning?"

Me: "Well, cyanide causes your mitochondria to shut down, so it would probably be something related to that."

Sam: long blank stare, followed by, "Yeah, that's right. Why do you know that?"

Me: "I just do."

She was super impressed. I think she even used the word proud. I wasn't going to tell Sam this next part so as to keep the mystery of my intelligence intact, but the truth is that I had an answer for her because I watched that biology video when I couldn't sleep last night. Isn't it lucky that Sam asked me a question relating to a random tidbit of information that the professor threw into his lecture? I was sure happy about it. So, thank you, Sam, for inspiring me to watch more iTunes U lectures.

No comments: