Saturday, February 07, 2009

iTunes U

I am a bit of an insomniac these days. I think Gravol kind of helped me sleep the other night, but not enough to justify taking it again. I've been making some rules. The first one is that after I go to bed I have to try to sleep for 30 minutes before I can get up and do something else. Then the first time I get back up the only thing I'm allowed to do is read. Reading before bed has been a routine of mine since I learned how to read books by myself. I keep telling myself that maybe doing that will remind my brain that it's time to sleep. Then after I read for a bit I have to try to sleep for another 30 minutes. If I'm still awake, I can either read some more or watch a lecture on iTunes U. Right now I'm enjoying some biology lectures and an audio series on Lincoln and the Civil War. Wow, I really am a nerd, eh?

What I'm really trying to say is that iTunes U is pretty awesome. There are a ton of free classes and a lot of them are taken from courses at some pretty prestigious schools. You can download the lectures and watch or listen to them. I suppose degrees are nice, but I love the idea of being able to learn about almost anything for free. The Internet blows my mind.

3 comments:

Bobby's World said...

Nice! I need to check this out. I love watching videos that teach you stuff. I like the nova videos, as well.

running g said...

ha ha...or you could just use your old staple---pop in a movie. it used to work every time :-)

Ashley Ronnell said...

Holy crap Gen! Why didn't I think of that??!! You are a genius! I should get a copy of Ben-Hur... that'll do the trick for sure!