Monday, April 05, 2010

I know, Lent is over.

A week or two ago I started thinking that it might be good for me to give up my coffee drinking habit. Now, I'm not talking about the occasional amazing cup of clover-pressed coffee that I like to enjoy at the Farmer's Market. I'm talking about the boring brew I find myself needing every single morning if I am to go on with my day.

Two days ago, I cut myself off. No coffee.

I've been drinking a bit of tea because I think I am having withdrawals or something. Tea has about 20% as much caffeine as coffee, so it is kind of like nicorette gum for coffee drinkers. I am craving it so bad, but I figure once it stops being a part of my routine it won't be so bad.

I am currently in the middle of writing a 10-pager that is due tomorrow night. With no coffee on the agenda, this could be a long haul.

To finish off, a poem entitled "They Drink Tea" by Gary Snyder:

There are those who love to get dirty
and fix things.
They drink coffee at dawn,
beer after work.
And those who stay clean,
just appreciate things,
At breakfast they have milk,
and juice at night.

There are those who do both,
they drink tea.

No comments: