Thursday, March 26, 2009

Squash

I have no idea what to blog about these days and I am a little worried that that means I am leading a bit of a mundane life. Oh well.

I suppose I can tell you about my new hobby. Sam and I have taken up squash and it is really quite fun. We went for the first time last Thursday because Sam really wanted to, but I had to do all the phoning around to find out where we could play, what we would need, and how much it would cost. It really wasn't that difficult, and Sam was working while I phoned around, so I will stop complaining. We played at the YMCA, where the student rate is less than $8, which includes equipment and gives you an hour on the court. It really was great fun. The next day we experienced something known as "squash ass," which is defined on urban dictionary as "the intense amount of pain in the buttox region that is a consequence of playing too much squash." I would hardly say that we played TOO MUCH squash, but we experienced the sore bum effect nonetheless. We are going to play some more now that our bums have healed, maybe tomorrow evening.


Another thing I want to tell you, or should I say complain, about is the extended winter we are having here in Calgary. Last Friday it was SO nice. The snow was almost all gone and it really felt like spring. I even went out and bought myself a bike helmet so that I could use my bike as a mode of transportation instead of my massive gas-hogging vehicle. Then Saturday came around and we got like 25 cm of snow. The bike helmet has been sitting in my closet since I bought it. I really want to use it, but I'm not pro enough or brave enough to ride my bike through the snow and ice. It snowed some more yesterday.

I'll stop complaining now and just go get my ice skates back out. Those are fun, and I'm getting pretty good at the whole stopping business, so I guess I'll keep that up.

In other news, I'm currently waiting for a study permit so that I can keep plugging through school. The class I'm in now is a bit of a breeze and I'm wishing I would have taken two classes instead of just one, but it was a good trial period as far as getting a feel for a new school as well as in terms of getting myself back into the academic swing of things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember skating with you in Bellingham once. I think I left there with "skating ass"! Do you remember?

Anyway, as far as school, what a plan! I think your observation of how smart it is to be conservative at first to learn the school is brilliant!

Love you,
Robin

Ashley Ronnell said...

I don't remember that, although I can imagine it!