Friday, December 07, 2007

Happy Pearl Harbor Day

This one evening at camp two summers ago, Chelsea and I were trying to put a mosquito net up on the porch. Then, my friend Cassy showed up with two people I had never met, introduced as Sam and Austen. Somewhere along the way, one of them became a good friend of mine (I like Austen, but it wasn't him). How 'bout a random story from the archives of our adventures?

----------

Sam and I lived in Cabin 0 last summer. One week, Junior 2 to be precise, all the kids started puking. By the end of the week we had a pretty good system going for dealing with these pukers. Someone would knock on the door, announce that one of their campers had puked, and we would be off. Sam typically took care of the kids while I cleaned up the puke.

My favorite was when Keywee's camper puked. It was 4:20am. So we did what we had been doing all week, then we went back to our super small bedroom for some sleep.

But before we fell asleep... *KNOCKknockKNOCK*. It was then 5:15am and Kit Kat was at the door. Her cabin's smoke alarm was going off. Out we go again! A group of 14 girls were trying to keep warm in the middle of the field while Sam and I fixed it (and by fix it I mean shut their power off).

5:40am. Back to bed. I sometimes get quite cold at night, so I would typically climb down to Sam's bed in the morning to get warm before staff meeting. I figured since it was already 5:40 and staff meeting would be at 7, I could save myself the climb to my top bunk and just finish off the night in Sam's bed. She was OK with it, so that is what I did. I fell asleep fast.

Sometime during my slumber, Sam elbowed me and told me to go to my own bed. So I did, even though it made me cold again. The best part is what she said when we woke up in the morning.

"Hey, why'd you leave my bed last night? It was really cold in here!"

"You made me."

"Oh. Yeah, I thought I said something to you. Well I didn't want you to leave, it was really cold."

"Sorry?"

----------

I wish I would have had the time to post camp stories when they happened. Anyways, I like my friend Sam and today she is 23, so I am hoping she has a happy birthday. I can't see how she wouldn't, you should see her birthday cake.

Happy birthday to Adam, as well. I don't have a lot of stories about Adam, but it sure was a good time listening to you call all of those bowling alleys on Thanksgiving weekend.

1 comment:

Cassy said...

Sam kicked me out of her bed once as well. Only it was her who MADE me sleep there in the first place. I was just really tired and wanted to sleep!