Sunday, November 26, 2006

my visit to calgary, home of sam

As you may have gathered from my previous post about my observation of snow in Seattle, I am back from my long weekend in Calgary (which also happens to be the home of world famous professional basketball player Sam Thomson). My last weekend report was really long, so I'm going to limit myself to telling you 5 things that happened this weekend.

1. On my way out of my apartment door, my roommate gave me an apple to eat on my way to the airport. I put it in my purse and totally forgot about it until I arrived in Calgary and put my stuff into Sam's car. As you may know, a person cannot just bring produce from the land of brown cream soda (USA) into the land of duotangs (Canada). I didn't really know the best thing to do. Bringing the apple back to my country would really only make things worse for myself. Sam thought I should throw it out the window, but I was afraid of leaving evidence of my heinous crime. So I ate it. All of it. Stem, core, and seeds included.

2. I watched a 2 year old white girl eat a full plate of spicy Indian food like it was candy. It was remarkable.

3. I went snowboarding with Sam and her cousin Kaila. It was the coldest I have ever been in my life. I even started to cry when we took a break in the lodge. My face was dethawing and it felt like it was on fire. It was one of my wussier moments in life. I did not warm up until nap time. I had one of the most amazing naps of my life on that day, by the way. And I take a lot of naps, so that is really saying something.

4. I forgot to go potty before I went to bed on Saturday night. As if I were a camper at camp, I told Sam before I left her room that I was going to go use the bathroom. Anyways. I went potty and then back to Sam's room and into bed. After a few minutes, I got comfortable again and began to try to fall asleep. All of a sudden, this person popped up from beside Sam's bed! It creeped me right out! Then I realized that it was not just any person. It was Sam herself! She hid from me when I left to use the bathroom and I did not even notice that she was gone. How do you not notice a person missing from the bed you are sleeping in? I don't know. I guess you just skip over those details sometimes.

5. Sam and I absolutely destroyed Colin and Sunshine Jenny at Dutch Blitz. Okay, that is a big lie. In fact, Jen had more points than the rest of us combined. But I DID catch Jen cheating. Also, if anyone is wondering what to get Sam for her birthday, I bet that she would really like a lifetime subscription to the National Enquirer.

Okay, my five point plan did not make this post much shorter than it would have been otherwise. Oh well.


By the way, it is snowing like crazy now! Maybe the Catholic school kids will not have school tomorrow? Meaning maybe I won't have work tomorrow?

9 comments:

Cassy said...

I knew Jen cheated! How does she do it??

Anonymous said...

All the private schools in and around Vancouver are closed today, even all the universities and Adam's college is closed. I called in and took a snow day for myself too (even though I feel really wussy since it's only about a foot of snow)
I hope you got a snow day too!

Anonymous said...

don't tell me u guys can't handle a little bit of snow?!?!

Anonymous said...

It is not cheating..more of strategic playing. And I think I deserved a chance...after all, you were cheating quite significantly...even though I was still winning

Ashley Ronnell said...

Chelsea, perhaps being from Saskatchewan you are unfamiliar with the concept of mountains and other elevated things. My car, for example, can not make it up to my school when there is ice.

Ashley Ronnell said...

By the way, we got no snow day. Boo. Maybe tomorrow.

Ashley Ronnell said...

Cassy, she just searches through her wood pile for whichever cards she pleases. No respect for the flipping by threes rule.

Ashley Ronnell said...

And for the record, I was not cheating on Saturday night. I was cheating on Friday night when we were not even keeping score and it was only because I am too slow to keep the game moving at a blitz-appropriate speed.

Ashley Ronnell said...

People don't really care if you cheat as long as you still lose. Well, unless it is the game of camp rebellion...