Friday, December 12, 2008

LIES!

Sam called this afternoon during her boring, 2 hour commute to work (there is A LOT of snow out there). She mentioned the conversation we had on the phone last night. I was SO relieved that she brought that up because I wasn't sure if I really talked to her or if it was just a dream.

She called at I think 11pm, while I was sleeping, and the conversation started out something like this...

Sam: Sorry for calling so late, I sort of forgot what time it was.

Me: Huh? It's OK, I'm still awake.

Still awake? That was totally a lie! I'd been asleep for at least an hour, and I was probably partly asleep while I was talking to Sam. I don't know why, but I have a pretty strong tendency to accidentally lie when I am woken up. (I don't mean lie as in lie down, although I'd say I have an even stronger tendency to lie down when I am just waking up.)

Once I fell asleep while watching Ben-Hur with some friends. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep during the incredibly long opening credits. Anyways, my friend Niko started shaking my shoulder at some point, and we had a conversation that went something like this...

Niko: ASH! Wake up, this is the best part!

Me: Oh, don't worry, I've actually already seen this movie.

Already seen Ben-Hur? Lie. I still haven't seen it, to tell you the truth. Anyways, I'm not sure why I'm always telling so many lies when woken up, but I think it's kind of funny so I hope it continues.

6 comments:

kinneyland said...

If I'm asleep when the phone rings I usually say a practice 'hello' before answering so I don't have a sleepy voice, that way when I lie and say I wasn't asleep it is more convincing.

Ashley Ronnell said...

Haha, I do practice hellos, too, but I do it if I am awake and just haven't said anything yet that day. But I never think of it when the phone is the thing that wakes me up.

arbyn said...

I am a freshly-woken-from-dead-sleep liar as well. It's weird, hey?

The other morning my friend was commuting to work and she called me around 7:15am and said, "Hey did I wake you?" and I said, "No, I've been awake just lying here watching the clock."

What!?

I really believed I had been awake prior to the call as well. It was only later, when I couldn't remember what we talked about, I realized I was a liar.

VanillaRose said...

I don't think you are accountable for what you say when you are, lets say, consciously with it.

VanillaRose said...

I think I meant... not consciously with it.

running g said...

ha ha...oh boy do i remember that!!! good times my friend, good times

(and btw---get these cops outta my face already!)