Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Here it is... the Brasil post!

This post could be boiled down to one sentence: I didn't like being in Brasil with such a big group, but I LOVED hanging with the kids at Lar Feliz Orphanage.

The longer version of my take on this trip is as follows...

I left with a pretty accurate expectation of what the trip was going to be like for me. I knew that I wouldn't like being with so many of my peers all the time, and I knew that I was going to love being with the kids. I also knew that I wasn't too sure if short-term missions of this nature could be effective, and I guessed that I would leave with some new opinions on the matter. I'm not sure how to verbalize those opinions except to tell you what my own experience was like.

I don't think that short-term missions are ineffective, but I am more than certain that short-term missions are not for me. Going to the orphanage, developing really strong relationships with the kids, and then up and leaving just feels... wrong. I just can't go in and out like that.

What's next? A return trip I guess... what can I say, I miss my girl Evelyn! Isn't she lovely?


How 'bout you... what's your take on short-term missions? What do you think is the best way to help kids who don't have anyone? (Other than adopt... I investigated the possibility of one day adopting Evelyn and it's not allowed, as our age difference is too small.)

3 comments:

Cassy said...

I think I agree with you on the peers and the leaving and the not being for me. One perspective we looked at as far as short term missions goes is that is a chance to minister to the full time missionaries, and also to allow God to work in your own life. Like, you go to Mexico and feel like you have to go there again some day for permanent, or, you go to Mexico, and you feel like you arent called to missions work at all.... He has something else for you.

The people most influential in those kids lives are, usually, the people who are there with them for a long time.

Sorry for the ramble, but I dont have time to proof read.

running g said...

Probably depends on the peers you go with...


that's why peacecorps is two years. definitely glad that TFA was two years...any less, and even only 2 years just doesn't cut it (even 3 years...I think more like 5-7 you're actually getting down to business)

kinneyland said...

I just saw Sam's blog and told Adam, he said he just looked like 20 minutes ago and it wasn't there. Adam said "how did she know we would just be sitting here blog surfing?"