Wednesday, July 08, 2009

this week is NONSENSE!

When I moved here, I had heard that the city is very proud of its cowboy atmosphere, and that Stampede is the best time of the year.

Turns out that Stampede is the ONLY time of the year that this city even so much as resembles anything that has anything to do with cowboys. The cowboy image is such a facade! For one week out of the year, people wear jeans and cowboy hats to work, eat large scale breakfasts together, and talk about chuckwagon races. It is a huge act for all of the out-of-towners. It is so ridiculous. I hate Stampede! (But I like the free food... I think they should do that all year.)

Somehow Calgary even earned the nickname Cowtown. Now, I'm sure there were plenty of cowboys kicking around back before Calgary was such a big city, but nowadays there is nothing about the city that leads me to believe there are any cowboys anywhere, aside from a couple of bars that try to look like they are some modern sorts of saloons. Oh, and the sign that welcomes you to Calgary when you come into the city from the airport. Any real cowboys would have had to leave the city because there are now cows here, or adjust to city life.

Does Calgary make you think of cowboys, the wild west, or anything of the like? I just don't get it.

4 comments:

Cassy said...

You seem a little bit angry.

kinneyland said...

You must be crashing from all the syrup on your pancakes.

Ashley Ronnell said...

I guess that came off a bit aggressive? I'm really just trying to make fun of a weird city.

Kwabena Hene Koduah said...

Cowboys? ':|

Cowboys don't really spring to mind when someone mentions Canada. I think more Lumberjacks than cowboys.

Besides isn't it too cold to be herding cows that side of the Americas.

Hene