Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sadako Sasaki

Located in Seattle's University District, Peace Park is a memorial to Sadako Sasaki.

Sadako was 2 years old and living in Hiroshima when the atomic bombs were dropped. She consequently developed leukemia and, in the hospital, began making paper cranes.


The Japanese saying is that one who folds a thousand paper cranes will be granted one wish. Sadako only made it to 644 before dying. She was 12.


Sadako's story is a symbol of the perils of nuclear war and has been used to promote peace in many parts of the world. The paper cranes that people draper over her statue symbolize the yearning for peace that exists in this world.

1 comment:

kortney said...

That was one of the best books I ever read - I remember reading it in grade 2, 3, or 4 (I had the same teacher those years, so it's hard to separate them), and our class made 1000 paper cranes. For months after that I was obsessed with making paper cranes.

I like this tribute.